As if Food Network, TLC and HGTV weren’t enough to make a DIY-er wannabe’s head explode, Pinterest had to come sliding in and completely overwhelm the crafting world with an endless to-do list. Thank God for that virtual bulletin board because I’m not sure my desktop could hold all the virtual sticky notes necessary for my list of “must-do” projects and “can’t wait to try” recipe ideas.
So, like I mentioned, I caught the DIY bug and I don’t think I’ll be getting over it any time soon (no matter how many homemade chicken noodle soup recipes from Pinterest I try). Since we do live in a day and age where your business is my business and my business is your business, I figured I’d share my recent projects with you. That’s the thing about DIY-ing, you get a real sense of accomplishment and you’re so proud of your work it seems almost against the rules not to share your outcomes with the world (even if the world is only the 15 people who may actually read your blog).
First project: Redo my antique ice box. My mom found this ice box at an antique store in Door County years ago when we had a cottage in Bailey’s Harbor. Even when I was 10 I “called” this piece and told her that as soon as she didn’t want it anymore (I knew she wouldn’t want it any more eventually – she loves to update and redesign every few years) I would like it. Fast forward seven or eight years and I was proudly displaying this beauty in my bedroom (still at my mom’s house, but it was mine!).
Funky and quirky but badly scratched ice box.
So this ice box is an antique and then it lived in our cottage for a few years, then it lived in my mom’s house and waited for me while I was in college. Finally it moved into my first apartment and has since come with me through five different moves. Needless to say, this guy was in rough shape. Although I thought the original (original to us anyway) colors were fun I decided he and I would grow up a little bit and we went with something a little less flashy. (By the way, yes that is my 1 year old in the picture chewing on a hinge). I took all of the doors and hinges and legs off, brought everything outside and spray painted. First thing I learned – I love spray painting. For someone who wants immediate satisfaction out of their DIY projects, spray painting is the (only) way to go. And the finished product looks like…
Next project: Wrapping paper & ribbon holder.
I saw this idea over at 33 Shades of Green and it was immediately added to my list.
It actually looks a lot better now because it is hanging on my wall and has Christmas paper on it (I’ll have to insert an updated picture). Anyway, instead of buying a new frame I found this one for $2 at the local Salvation Army. It looked like this:
So what did I do? You guessed it! SPRAY PAINT! I just taped off the canvas and spray painted the frame and, once that was dry, I taped off the frame and spray painted the canvas.
Next step was adding cafe rods (I found mine at Menards – and taught the friendly high school boy trying to help me what they were). At this step Scott had to give me a quick tutorial on the power tools and then I was on my own! In hindsight I wish I would have added more rods and may go back and do that someday as this frame could hold a lot more than 5 rolls of paper. But I’m happy with the convenient storage and think it looks pretty on the wall in my craft room (a.k.a. spare bedroom).
And then…my favorite and most recent project:
I MADE MY OWN NURSING COVER. And by made I mean I sewed it all by myself! I hated the nursing cover I used with B because it did not have any of that boning on top that allowed you to actually see your child but that kind retails for $30 or $40 and, as someone who loves a good deal, I know that is not a good deal. A friend sent me an online tutorial from the Mama Monster and I got to sewing!
First I found this fun fabric in the clearance bin at JoAnn Fabrics.
And then the fun began. You guys, I DID NOT HAVE TO CALL MY MOM DURING THE SEWING OF THIS NURSING COVER. That. Is. Success. I did have to get my seem ripper out once or twice (ok three times total) but there were no angry, frustrated, fix this now phone calls to my mother. She is thankful. I am proud. This is not a tutorial (that’s why I linked to Mama Monster) so let’s get to it, the finished product!
Look closely, this thing has boning, straps and D-rings!
My first ever straps (Adjustable with D-rings!)
Can't wait for my baby girl to get here!